PAGES

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

X-Factor '10: Rebecca Ferguson interview

 FROM KYLA MANENTI
24 year old Rebecca Ferguson - a finalist on this year's X-Factor - has come a long way from the insecure auditionee who couldn't lift her eys from the floor to sing. But since the live shows began the judges have been singing her praises; most recently Louis Walsh announced that the Liverpudlian is his 'favourite contestant ever'. With the final show days away, the soulful songbird took a moment to chat to iVillage about family and change.
Rebecca looks like a pro; her classy, brooding vocals were always impressive and now she has the sleek appearance to boot. Her brassy new look disguises the sensitivity her performances betray. But ask about her family and she makes no secret that she misses playing mum to her two children. Here, she opens up about how she has adjusted to her new lifestyle, looks and long-distance motherhood...
You've been very open about the fact you miss your kids. How has the X-Factor experience affected them?
Rebecca Ferguson: I think they've missed me and have been excited to come and see me at live shows - and also see their mummy on the telly. I think they miss having me round all the time.
What impact will future success have on your children?
Rebecca Ferguson: I think it will have two impacts. Hopefully, if it goes well it will provide for their future. There have been times in the past when I've had to say to them 'Mummy can't afford to buy you that'. But I think there will also be sacrifices. But in the long run if I work hard I will make a better life for them. My aim is to make sure all my family are looked after.
If you didn't win the X Factor, what do you think you'd do?
Rebecca Ferguson: I think I'll just have to wait and see. God willing I'd still like to be making music but I will take it one day at a time.
Apparently you've written songs, is this something you'd like to further in your career?
Rebecca Ferguson: I've always written songs since I was a little girl, so I think that will be something I do irrespective of what happens with this show.
What do you enjoy singing about?
Rebecca Ferguson: I like to sing about things that mean stuff to me and have emotion. I like inspirational songs that can make a change in people's lives. I do also like fun songs, basically a nice balance.
What's a typical day for you now?
Rebecca Ferguson: I get up, get dressed and get a taxi straight over to the studios for rehearsals. I often get in late and then end up going to bed late. It's quite a busy schedule, but I can't complain about it.
How was the Talk Talk secret gig you recently performed at?
Rebecca Ferguson: It was nice to sing without being judged for a change! It gave you a little tiny taste of what it could be like afterwards.
How has your diet, fitness and beauty regime changed since the X Factor?
Rebecca Ferguson: My diet probably isn't as good as it should be at the moment. Because we're so busy there are a lot of takeaway sandwiches in between rehearsals. We don't really have much time to work out, there is a gym in the house - but we're always too tired to use it! As for beauty, I think I'm a lot more conscious now of my beauty regime and what works for me.Are the X Factor judges as you expected?
Rebecca Ferguson: Yeah, they are all pretty much as I expected! I love Louis, he's an angel, he looks after you and really cares. Cheryl's really down to earth and supportive. Simon's basically the same as he is on the telly! He will pop in to the rehearsals every now and again and give you feedback which is nice. Dannii is lovely too, she tells you how it is, which is nice.
What is the best thing about being on The X-Factor?
Rebecca Ferguson: It's got to be meeting everyone. The contestants this year have all been really amazing and it's really hard each week to have to say goodbye to someone.
What's the worst thing?
Rebecca Ferguson: Missing my kids. That's definitely been the toughest thing about taking part.
Describe your X-Factor experience in three words...
Rebecca Ferguson: Unbelievable. Amazing. It teaches you a lot - sorry that's more than three words isn't it!
Who, of your fellow contestants, do you get on with best?
Rebecca Ferguson: Mary - until last week - and One Direction.
What can we expect in the final?
Rebecca Ferguson: More fun! I want the final to be fun! I have a song I really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment